Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Weekend

In the real world you have the weekends off, unfortunately life still goes on here at the farm, although on a less demanding scale. On Saturday morning we all had our activities we had to do, wether it be food prep, cheetah runs, baboon walks, etc. I was on Baboon walk for the morning which I quite enjoyed. I mentioned before how it was working with baboons and well, same things happen, as we walked to the water holes I had 4 of the tiny babies on me (heavy!!) and again felt like their toilet. Other than the usual urine and poo that I tend to get on my head and shoulders, I also got to experience having a baboon throw up on me...whilst on my head. Before they do you can hear them starting to gag and at the point you're just waiting to feel the slime on you...yeah not the most pleasant feeling, luckily the culprit, Frodo, helped me out by eating it up again!
Asias!
After the morning activities we had our lunch and went to our fun activity of the week, which was a football match against the San Bushmen FC! Ofcourse this got me excited as I hadn't touched a ball for over 3 weeks, and a game against the Bushmen?! How unique is that! As you can see from the photo, we played on a world class pitch (ignore the campfire marks, the wildlife poo, the nonexistent lines). The African heat was an absolute killer though! After about 10 minutes everyone was completely exhausted (except the Bushmen!).

Footy in Africa

Towards 6:00pm we headed back to the Lapa where we would have a Braai (a sort of bbq on the camp fire). Steaks, Sausages, Burgers, it was goooood!! Saturday night is also seen as the social night ( although every night is social) as the pool table was uncovered, the drinks were cold, and the karaoke was set! Every Saturday night there is karaoke which is a big laugh! In the beginning everyone is shy, but give it a couple of drinks, and it wasn't long before there was a queue!


Sunday I went to Windhoek where we would have 3 hours to walk around in the mall. The mall is the only one in the capital and was opened last year by the president (shows how rare it is!). I got a the essential groceries and went to a coffee shop where I was able to upload my blog and catch up with a weeks worth of happenings! At 1 we headed to Joe's for lunch, an absolute gem of a restaurant! I was eager to try some of the local cuisine and taste some game, so I got a meal that included, Oryx, Kudu, Crocodile, Zebra, and Springbok. Zebra was definitely the winner!
My Bushman Sosatie
The group that went to town
After lunch we headed back to the farm where we would take a drive into the reserve to see the sunset, which was a beautiful ending to the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment